Proposed Capital Project Newsletter
Proposed Capital Project
Residents of the Warrensburg Central School District will vote on an $11 million capital improvement project on Tuesday, March 14, 2017. The project is the result of evaluation, research, and collaboration between the Board of Education, administration, and district architect following the compilation of a Building Condition Survey, which is required every five years by New York State. Additionally, on October 24, 2016 the Board of Education held a community forum to share the findings and gain public input regarding the needs of the district. Our current needs focus on health and safety concerns, energy efficiency improvements, and protecting and extending the life of our capital assets through the implementation of sound planning and maintenance.
Just like your home, our school facilities require attention and maintenance to keep them operating and efficient. The Jr./Sr. High School facility was constructed in 1992, and most of the finishes and equipment will be more than 25 years old by the time the proposed project is enacted; while the Elementary facilities will be more than 70 years old. Lastly, programs change and expand over time, and our spaces require upgrades to accommodate these changes in a 21st Century Learning Environment. The Warrensburg Central School Board of Education is proposing a capital improvement project that includes:
• Improving safety and increasing security at both of our facilities by constructing secure entry vestibules, replacing lock sets to meet ADA compliance, and upgrading the fire alarm systems.
• Optimizing mechanical and electrical systems to reduce long-term operating costs by upgrading light fixtures and replacing inefficient mechanical units.
• Upgrading failing infrastructure and renew aging building systems such as leaking pipes and valves, boilers, windows, deteriorated asphalt, walks, and masonry.
• Replacing deteriorated equipment and finishes, floors, ceilings, bleachers and water coolers.
• Converting the current High School Cafetorium into a space to accomodate large group instruction, testing, meetings, and performances. This space would be utilized for instruction, testing, and professional development, in addition to providing our drama and music programs with a performance facility. A dedicated space would reduce the time custodial staff currently spend converting the cafetorium for practice and performances. To accommodate this change in function, we would relocate the cafeteria, which would be available for students to study in during non-lunch periods, as it would not host the classes, rehearsals and distractions in its current state. The Strength and Conditioning Room would be upgraded and relocated closer to the Gymnasium to accommodate the cafeteria relocation.
The proposed project is expected to reduce operating costs and free up time spent maintaining aging equipment. Most importantly, it aligns with our district’s mission statement, in providing our students with a safe and supportive environment to become respectful and successful citizens of the global community.
There will be a Public Information Forum on the proposed capital project on Monday, February 27, 2017 at 7:00 p.m. in the High School Library.
Proposed Capital Project Slide Show
Warrensburg Elementary Pre-K Program
Residents of the Warrensburg Central School District who have a child that will be 4 years old on or before December 1, 2017, are eligible to enroll in the Warrensburg Elementary School Pre-Kindergarten program for the 2017-2018 school year. Parents or Guardians interested in having them participate in this program, please contact the Elementary School Office at 518-623-9747 for registration information.