Referral Process

Referrals to the Committee on Special Education (CSE) can be made in three ways.

  1. The parent/legal guardian of a student who is experiencing difficulty in school academically, behaviorally, or socially may put a request in writing to the CSE Chair Person Dr. Kathleen Bernhard to have their child evaluated to determine if the student meets the criteria of a student with a disability.
  2. Teachers, school psychologists, social workers or other therapist in the school may submit a request for referral form which outlines the student's areas of difficulties and clearly identifies the interventions that have been in place to assist the student.
  3. Physicians or medical personnel concerned about a child in his/her care can make a referral to the CSE.

Upon receipt of a CSE referral the Office for Pupil Personnel Services will send a Consent To Evaluate form, prior written notice letter and Procedural Safeguards Notice to the parent. Upon receipt of the signed consent the district has 60 calendar days to evaluate the student and hold a CSE meeting to discuss the results of the evaluation.

The parent of the student, school psychologist, general education teacher of the student, a special education teachers, speech therapist and other related services providers as designated on the meeting invitation (prior written notice letter), and the CSE Chairperson will meet to discuss the results of the evaluation and determine if the student qualifies as a student with a disability.

Questions? Contact the Office for Pupil Personnel Services at 518-623-9747 x 2 during regular business hours M-F 8 am to 4 pm.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2018 West Corporation. All rights reserved.